For Scheduled Exams, students will use Examplify, the examination software provided by Examsoft. Note: this is the same software that is used by the Hawai‘i State Bar.
For Schedule On-Your-Own Exams, students will use the Examsoft Student Portal, the web portal provided by Examsoft, to download and upload exam answers.
Before you start, download Examplify to your computer.
Installation and Registration
Install & Register the Latest Version of Examplify onto your Laptop
- With your Examsoft User ID and Password readily available, go to the Law School’s Examsoft homepage. Your Examsoft User ID is 9 + UH Student ID Number; your password is your UH Student ID Number.
- Locate the Exam Takers login box on the left side of the page. Enter your Examsoft User ID and password where indicated and click Login.
- Click Download for Examplify. (Please note that you may not use an iPad or tablet for your exams.)
- A pop-up box will display asking to Save the file. Click Save File and choose the destination to save the file. Double-click on the Examplify.pkg in either the Downloads window or where you chose to save the file. Follow the instructions of the Examplify installer wizard.
- After installation of Examplify, complete the registration process by entering your Examsoft User ID and password. You will be prompted to enter the Institution ID. Our Institution ID is hawaiilaw.
Note: Students are required every semester to complete a Mandatory Practice exam and submit the answer file using Examplify. Those students who do not meet this requirement will not be eligible to sit for their final exams.
Instructions for “Scheduled Exams”
- Launch Examplify from your desktop by clicking on the Examplify icon. If prompted, enter the Institution ID, hawaiilaw. Enter your Examsoft User ID and Password when prompted and click Next.
- Click on the exam you are taking from the Exam List section. Click Download Exam in the middle of the screen under the name of the exam. Once the download is complete, you will see the exam in the “downloaded” section.
Complete the Exam
Please read through the entire set of instructions before completing these steps.
- Click on the exam on the left-hand column. Enter the exam password. Click Start Exam.
- After reading and reviewing the honor statement (exam notice), click Next to acknowledge and affirm you understand the academic misconduct policies.
Examplify will notify you if there are any attachments to the exam. You can view the attachment at any time by selecting Exam Controls, then selecting Exam Attachments.
For closed book exams, Examplify will request you to close programs on your laptop.
- Check the box and click Start Exam to begin the exam. Once you click Start Exam, you will not have access to other programs on your laptop and will start the exam.
- Complete the exam. Please also take this time to click on the various features to familiarize yourself with Examplify.
- To add an alarm, adjust the font size, or use the calculator, go to the upper right-hand corner of Examplify and click on Tool Kit. To view the exam attachment, click on Exam Controls.
- To exit the exam, go to the upper right-hand corner of Examplify and click on Exam Controls and choose Submit Exam.
- Check the box next to ‘I confirm that I have completed my exam’ and click Submit Exam.
- Your answer file will automatically upload once you establish an internet connection. A green screen will appear when the file has been successfully uploaded.
If you have questions about Examplify or questions related to the exam-taking process, please contact the Law Registrar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have specific technical questions or issues with your laptop, you can contact the Law School IT team at email@example.com.
Instructions for “Schedule On-Your-Own Exams”
You will be using the Examsoft Student Portal to download your Schedule On-Your-Own and to upload your exam answer and Honor Statement. Note: You will not be writing your exam answer in Examplify.
The exam must be completed within the exam period. You may download the exam and submit your exam at any time during the exam window provided to you, as long as you respect the time limits of the exam and complete the exam by the stated absolute deadline. Please understand that our office will be available to respond to questions about the exam by email during regular business hours, M-F, 8:30AM–4:30PM HST.
DOWNLOAD YOUR EXAM & HONOR STATEMENT
- Go to the Law School’s Examsoft homepage
- Locate the Exam Takers login box on the left side of the page and enter your Examsoft ID number and password.
Reminder: Your Examsoft Student ID: 9 + UH Student ID Number
Your Examsoft Password: UH Student ID Number
Example: If your UH student ID number is 12345678, your Examsoft Student ID is 912345678 and your Examsoft Password is 12345678.
- Click on the Courses tab. This will show a list of active courses in which you are enrolled. (Do not click on Assignment Dropbox.)
- Locate the title of the course for the exam you will be taking. Under the Notifications/Actions Required column, click Action next to ‘Download the Instructions/Assignment.’ Do not click Action until you are ready to take the exam.
IMPORTANT: Once you click Action, the time will begin to take the exam. If you try and cancel the file download, the time stamp will have already occurred. You may view the date and time you downloaded the exam under the ‘Download Date’ column.
- The download Exam File pop-up window appears. Click Download Assignment.
- Save the exam file on your laptop.
IMPORTANT: You will only be able to download the exam once so, be sure to remember the path where the exam file is saved or print the exam because you will NOT be able to access the document again.
- Once the file has been downloaded, click Done in the Download Assignment pop-up window.
- Repeat steps 3–7 to download the Honor Statement.
- Click OK and close out of the Examsoft Student Portal.
Note: After the file has been downloaded, the Upload button (green arrow pointing up) will appear next to the exam name. You can only upload your exam once so do not click on this button until you are ready to submit your file.
COMPLETE THE HONOR STATEMENT
- Save the blank Honor Statement to your laptop. Close and reopen the saved document.
- Review, complete, save, and rename the completed Honor Statement onto your laptop.
IMPORTANT: Submit the Honor Statement at the time you submit your exam answer. If you have more than one schedule on your own exam, you only need to submit one Honor Statement for the semester. Failure to submit the Honor Statement by the stated deadline may result in you receiving no grade or an ‘F’ for the course.
FORMAT YOUR EXAM ANSWER DOCUMENT
After you have typed your exam in Word (or another word processing application), save the document with the following information:
- Insert the course name and your exam number into your document’s header or footer on every page of your answers.
IMPORTANT: Do not include your name, UH student ID number, or any identifying information other than your exam number in the header/footer.
- Insert page numbers into the document’s header or footer on every page of your answers and include the total number of pages. Example: 1 of 10, 2 of 10, 3 of 10, etc.
- Be sure to follow any formatting or page limitations that your professor may have included in the exam instructions.
- Save your document using only your exam number and course name when you save the answer file. Example: 123123 Civil Procedure I
IMPORTANT: Do not include your name, UH student ID number, or any identifying information other than your exam number when you save the answer file.
- Exam answer files must be submitted as a Word or PDF file unless otherwise noted in the exam instructions.
SUBMIT YOUR EXAM ANSWER & HONOR STATEMENT
IMPORTANT: Begin the upload process at least 30 minutes in advance of the deadline to allow for any unforeseen technical issues.
- Go to the Law School’s Examsoft homepage
- Locate the Exam Takers login box on the left side of the page and enter your Examsoft Student ID and password.
- Click on Courses and then click Action next to ‘Upload Assignment’ (the green arrow pointing up) next to the exam that you will upload.
- On the pop-up window, select Browse and locate the correct file.
IMPORTANT: Be sure you have selected the correct file to upload. Only ONE answer file may be uploaded ONCE. In addition, you will NOT be able to preview the file in the system prior to submission, view the file after it has been submitted, or upload a different file after it has been submitted.
- Once you have located the appropriate answer file, select it and click the Upload button.
- You can confirm your upload by reviewing the Upload File Name column in the list of Assessments.
NOTE: If you upload your exam answer after the upload deadline, your assignment will upload successfully; however, our office will be notified that it is a late submission.
- After you have uploaded your exam answer, repeat the steps in this section to upload your Honor Statement.
- After you have uploaded your exam answer and Honor Statement, click Done. Close out of the Examsoft Student Portal.
IMPORTANT: You will not receive an email confirmation that the file was uploaded. To confirm successful upload, you will see the Upload File Name and Upload Date stamp on the page. If you do not see one, the other or both, your file was not uploaded successfully.
If for any reason you are unable to submit your exam via the Examsoft Student Portal, email your answer file and notify our office immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Law Registrar’s Office is available to respond to answer any exam questions during regular business hours (M-F, 8:30AM-4:30PM HST). To contact us, you may email email@example.com.