Lecturer in Law
JD, William S. Richardson School of Law, 2023
BA, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2023
Mei-Fei Kuo is an Associate Counsel for American Savings Bank where she advises the bank on various legal, regulatory, and contractual matters. Prior to this position, she was the Assistant General Counsel for Carlsmith Ball LLP and advised the firm on legal issues related to professional responsibility, risk management, and loss prevention. Ms. Kuo previously worked as a corporate counsel for Aloha Petroleum Ltd. and as an attorney with the United States, Department of Justice in Washington D.C., in the Environmental Torts Section where she defended the United States in toxic tort actions related to claims of hazardous and solid waste contamination. After graduating from law school, she was a judicial law clerk for now retired Associate Justice Simeon R. Acoba of the Hawai`i Supreme Court.
Ms. Kuo was selected for the “Forty Under 40” Class of 2012 by Pacific Business News and as a Fellow for the Hawaii State Bar Association’s Leadership Institute. She is a current Board of Director and former President of the Hawaii Chapter of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association. She was a former Chair of the Natural Resources Section of the Hawaii State Bar Association and served as a Board of Director for the Hawaii State Bar Association and the Hawaii Chapter of the Taiwanese Association of America.
Ms. Kuo received both her B.A. degree, magna cum laude, and her J.D. degree, cum laude, from the University of Hawai’i. While at the William S. Richardson, School of Law, Ms. Kuo served as the Co-Comments Editor for the University of Hawai`i Law Review and she was a member of the Phillip C. Jessup International Moot Court Team, which was the Pacific Regional Champions in 1999.
Publications and Presentations
- Speaker, Conflicts of Interest, seminar for the National Business Institute, Dec. 2018.
- Speaker, Legal Ethics of Email, seminar for the National Business Institute, Dec. 2017.
- Panelist, Corporate Hawai`i session for the Hawai`i State Bar Association, Leadership Institute, Nov. 2014.
- Contributing Author and Editor of the Hawai`i Chapter for “Business Torts: A Fifty-State Guide”, 2007-2013 Editions.
- Contributing Author, “Hawai`i Chapter on Survey of Employment Privacy Law” for Media Law Resource Center, 2008-2013 Editions.
- Speaker, Overview of United States Environmental Laws and Remediation Techniques for Contaminated Property, presentation for the International Environmental Forensics Conference, in Qingdao, China, May 2008.
- Author, “Use of Hawai`i Brownfields Clean-Up Revolving Loan Fund”, Hawai`i State Bar Association, Special Supplement for Pacific Business News, October 2006.
- Speaker, The Sarbanes-Oxley Act: Implications for Corporate Record-Keeping, 2003-2006.
- Co-Author, “When Is An Innovation In Order?: Justice Ruth Ginsburg and Stare Decisis”, University of Hawai`i Law Review, Ginsburg Symposium, Spring 1998.