Professor of Law Emerita
Former Co-Director, Health Law Policy Center
Regents’ Medalist for Excellence in Teaching
BA, University of Arizona, 1973
MSW, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 1975
PhD, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 1986
JD, William S. Richardson School of Law, 1991
- Outstanding Woman Lawyer of the Year, Hawai‘i Women Lawyers, 2008.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction, 2000-present.
- AALS Section on Insurance Law, Chair, 2008.
- HSBA Section on Insurance Coverage Litigation Section, Chair, 2008.
Professor Beh joined the law school in 1995 as Acting Associate Dean and joined the faculty in 1996. She teaches Contracts, Advanced Torts & Insurance Law, and legal writing. She also serves currently as co-director of the Health Law Policy Center at the Law School. Professor Beh was Associate Dean for Academic Affairs from 2007 to 2009.
After law school, she clerked for Hawai`i Supreme Court Chief Justice Herman Lum. From 1993 to 1994, she was the Research & Appellate Coordinator for the City and County of Honolulu Corporation Counsel.
In addition to her law degree, Professor Beh also holds a Ph.D. in American Studies and a Masters of Social Work. She worked as a social worker with the elderly in the Hawai`i community for twelve years.
Her scholarship interests are diverse; she has written articles concerning insurance, law and medicine, torts, contracts, and higher education law.
In 1999, she was selected by students and faculty as Outstanding Professor of the Year. Professor Beh is also a 2000 recipient of the Board of Regents’ Excellence in Teaching Award, the University of Hawai`i’s highest honor for teachers. She received the 2008 Hawai‘i Women Lawyers Outstanding Women Lawyer of the Year award, in recognition of her efforts to establish the part-time program at the law school.
Professor Beh is a past Chair of the Associate of American Law Schools (AALS) Education Law Section; of the AALS Contracts Section and of the AALS Insurance Law Section. She was a visiting professor at LaTrobe University, Melbourne, Australia in 2005, the University of California, Hastings College of Law in Spring 2002 and at Meijo University, Nagoya, Japan in Summer 2001.
- Curing the Infirmities of Unconscionability, Symposium in Honor of Charles Knapp, 66 Hastings L.J 1011 (2015). HeinOnline | SSRN| ScholarSpace
- Individuals with Differences in Sex Developments: Consult to the Colombia Constitutional Court Regarding Sex and Gender, 29 Wisconsin Journal of Law, Gender & Society 421 (2014) (with Milton Diamond). HeinOnlin | SSRN | ScholarSpace
- The Right to Comprehensive Sex Education (Book Chapter), Children and Sex, Sasha Coupet & Ellen Marrus, eds., NYU Press, 163 (2015).
- The Standard of Care and the Assumption of Risk Defense in a Negligent Injury Case in a Physical Education Class, 85 Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance 41 (2014) (co-authored with Kelly Murphy, UH Ass’t Professor, Physical Education). Taylor and Francis Online | ScholarSpace
- Insurance & the Moon Court (with co-authors), 33 U.H. L.Rev. 779 (2011). HeinOnline | SSRN | ScholarSpace
- Non-Compete Clauses in Physician Employment Contracts Are Bad for Our Health, 14 Haw. B.J. 79 (2011) (with H. Ramsey Ross). Hawaii Bar Journal | SSRN | ScholarSpace
- Misclassifying the Insurance Policy: The Unforced Errors of Unilateral Contract Characterization, 32 Cardozo L. Rev. 102 (2010) (with Jeffrey Stempel). HeinOnline | SSRN | ScholarSpace
- Insurance Intermediaries, 15 Conn. Ins. L.J. 571 (2009) (with Amanda Willis). HeinOnline | ScholarSpace
- Abstinence-only sex education: potential developmental effects, 2 Human Ontogenetics 87 (2008) (with Milton Diamond). Wiley | ScholarSpace
- Changes in the management of children with intersex conditions, 4 Nature (Clinical Practice/Endocrinology & Metabolism) 4-5, January 2008 (Milton Diamond, corresponding author). ScholarSpace
- Hazel Glenn Beh, Sexual Education, in Encyclopedia of Sex and Gender (Malti-Douglas, Fedwa ed. 2007).
- Emerging Insurance Issues, 11 Haw. B. J. 6 (Feb. 2007) (co-authored).
- Hazel Glenn Beh, Recognizing the Sexual Rights of Minors in the Abstinence-Only Sex Education Debate, 26 Children’s Legal Rights J. 1 (2006). HeinOnline | ScholarSpace
- The Failure of Abstinence Only Education: Minors Have a Right to Honest Talk About Sex, 15 Columbia J. Gender & Law 11 (2006) (with Milton Diamond). HeinOnline | SSRN | ScholarSpace
- David Reimer’s Legacy: Limiting Parental Discretion, 12 Cardozo J. L. & Gender 5 (2005) (with Milton Diamond). HeinOnline| SSRN | ScholarSpace
- The Right to Be Wrong 103-114 (co-authored with Milton Diamond), in Ethics & Gender (Sharon Systma, ed. 2006). SexArchive | ScholarSpace
- Ethical Concerns Related to Treating Gender Nonconformity in Childhood and Adolescence: Lessons From the Family Court of Australia, 15 Health Matrix 239 (2005) (with Milton Diamond). HeinOnline | SSRN | ScholarSpace
- Compensation for Research Injuries, 27 IRB Ethics & Human Research 11 (2005).
- Legal Implications Surrounding Adolescent Health Care Decision-Making in Matters of Sex, Reproduction and Gender, 13 Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America Sex & Gender 675-695 (2004) (book chapter co-authored with James Pietsch).
- Mechanic’s Lien’s on Private Projects in Hawai‘i , 130 J. Professional Issues in Engineering Education & Practice 311 (2004) (co-authored with Albert Tiberi & Amarjit Singh).
- Book Review, Legal Aspects of Architecture, Engineering and the Construction Process, 130 J. Professional Issues in Engineering Education & Practice 318 (2004). ScholarSpace
- Reassessing the Sophisticated Insured Exception, 39 Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal 85 (2004). HeinOnline | ScholarSpace
- Teaching Contracts Transactionally, 34 U. Tol. L. Rev. 687 (2003). HeinOnline | ScholarSpace
- World Trade Center Coverage Litigation, Occurrences, Fall 2002, AALS Section on Insurance Newsletter.
- In Celebration of Twenty-Five Years, 25 U. Haw. L. Rev. 1 (2002). HeinOnline | ScholarSpace
- The Role of Institutional Review Boards in Protecting Human Subjects: Are We Ready To Fix a Broken System?, 26 Law & Psychology Review 1 (2002). HeinOnline | SSRN | ScholarSpace
- Physical Losses in Cyberspace, 8 Connecticut Insurance Law Journal 55-86 (2002). HeinOnline | ScholarSpace
- Monitoring for Performance and Sexual Harassment, Communications of the ACM, special section on Internet Abuse in the Workplace (January 2002) (co-authored with Panko, Raymond R.).
- Tort Liability for Intentional Acts of Family Members: Will Your Insurer Stand By You?, 68 Tennessee Law Review 1 (2000) (lead article). HeinOnline | SSRN | ScholarSpace
- An Emerging Ethical and Medical Dilemma: Should Physicians Perform Sex Assignment Surgery on Infants with Ambiguous Genitalia? (co-authored with Milton Diamond), 7 Michigan Journal of Gender & Law 1-63 (2000) (lead article). HeinOnline | SSRN | ScholarSpace
- Student versus University: The University’s Obligations of Good Faith, 59 Maryland Law Review 183-224 (2000). Reprinted in Academic Program Closures (2d ed.) published by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (2002). HeinOnline | SSRN | ScholarSpace
- Book Review: Teaching Ethics, Volume One, Government Ethics (co-authored with Professor David Callies) The International Lawyer 9 (Dec. 1999). Reprinted in longer form in 2001 B.L.I. 137.
- Downsizing Higher Education and Derailing Student Educational Objectives: When Should Student Claims for Program Closures Succeed? 33 Georgia Law Review 155-210 (1998). Reprinted in Academic Program Closures (2d ed.) published by the National Association of College and University Attorneys (2002). HeinOnline | ScholarSpace
- Sex, Sexual Pleasure, and Reproduction: Health Insurers Don’t Want Us to Do Those Nasty Things, 13 Wisconsin Women’s Law Journal 119-6 (1998). HeinOnline | SSRN | ScholarSpace
- The Duty to Warn: Invading the Marital Bedroom and the Therapist’s Couch, 8 Journal of Law and Social Work 63 (1998).
- Why the Justices Must Stop Appointing Bishop Estate Trustees, Hawai‘i Bar Journal 6 (Feb. 1998) (reprinted with new material at 21 University of Hawai‘i Law Review 659 (Winter 1999)). HeinOnline | ScholarSpace
- Municipal Liability For Failure To Investigate Citizen Complaints Against Police, 25 Fordham Urban Law Journal 201-254 (1998). HeinOnline | ScholarSpace
- The Government Contractor Defense: When Do Governmental Interests Justify Excusing A Manufacturer’s Liability for Defective Products?, 28 Seton Hall Law Review 430 (1998). HeinOnline | ScholarSpace
- Allocating the Risk of Unforeseen, Subsurface and Latent Conditions in Construction Contracts, Is There Room For the Common Law, 46 University of Kansas Law Review 115-154 (1997). HeinOnline| ScholarSpace
- Drug Experience Reports: Their Use and Abuse in Litigation, 59 Defense Counsel Journal 13 (1992). HeinOnline | ScholarSpace
- Note, Stop H-3 Association v. Dole: Congressional Exemption From National Laws Does Not Violate Equal Protection, 12 University of Hawai‘i Law Review 405 (1990). HeinOnline | ScholarSpace
Social Work Publications
- The Senior Advisor Corps: A Model Support Group for Primary Caregivers of Frail Aged, Center for Research in Ambulatory Health Care Administration (1986) (co-authored).
- Depression, Our Aging Parents, Browne & Onzuka-Anderson, Eds., University of Hawaii Press (1985).
- “Community Services,” Our Aging Parents, Browne & Onzuka Anderson, Eds., University of Hawaii Press (1985) (co-authored).
Publications cited in Judicial Decisions:
- Student versus University: Wanrin v. J.C., Inc., 2007 WL 5313930 (D.C.Super. 2007); Onawola v. Johns Hopkins University, 412 F.Supp.2d 529 (D. Md. 2006); Acosta v. District Bd. of Trustees of Miami-Dade Community College, 905 So.2d 226, 199 Ed. Law Rep. 1008, 30 Fla. L. Weekly D1312, Fla.App. 3 Dist., May 25, 2005; Faigel v. Fairfield, WL 706966 (Conn. Super. May 30, 2001); Sharick v. Southeastern University, 780 So.2d 142 (Fla. App. 2001); Miller v. Loyola University of New Orleans, 829 So.2d 1057 (La. App. 2002) (Plotkin, J. dissenting).
- Municipal Liability: Clark v. Pena, (Mich. Dist. Ct. 2000).
- Allocating the Risk of Unforeseen, Subsurface and Latent Conditions: SMC Corp. v. N.J. Water Supply, 759 A.2d 1223 (N.J. Super. 2000).
- Sex, Sexual Pleasure &Reproduction: In the Matter of Kelly W. Parden v. Halter Marine Inc., U.S. Dept. of Labor, Office of Administrative Law Judges (2000).
- An Emerging Medical and Ethical Dilemma: In the Matter of Robert Wright Heilig/Janet Heilig Wright, 816 A.2d 68 (Md. App. 2003).
- Tort Liability for Intentional Torts: American Family Mutual Insurance Company v. Wheeler, 287 Neb. 250, 842 N.W.2d 100 (Neb. 2014); Warren ex rel.Warren v. Glascoe, 2003 WL 282574 (Miss.App. 2003); Faul v. Pearlman, 104 So.3d 148, (Miss.App. 2012).
- Government Contractor Defense: Gabriel Gaona v. US Investigations Services Professional Services Division, Inc., No. CV 12-8211-PCT-JAT (D. Arizona April 23, 2013); Griffin v. JTSI, Inc., 2008 WL 4820787 (D.Hawai’i 2008); Holst v. KCI Konecranes Int’l, 2008 WL 5024449 (Ct. Common Pleas S. C. Aug. 13, 2008).